Monday, July 18, 2011

How I'm Spending My Summer Vacation!

Ok! So many thanks to Clutter Free Classroom for starting up an easy week-long linky party, not to mention for giving me the ooomf to launch The Kinder Kid! What a welcoming way to enter the blogging world!

I have yet to introduce myself elsewhere, so hello! I'm Nicole from Texas and I'm eagerly awaiting my second year teaching kindergarten. This time last year I was shakin' in my boots but now I can hardly wait for my new batch! I've been following quite a few blogs all summer and I can't get enough of the latest Target Dollar Spot steals, details from conferences, and newly minted activities to start the year. 

So let's talk summer! I'll work backwards:

5. Target!
I finally made it to Target! Part of my summer has been spending time with my cousins (ages 5 and 9) and when my aunt said she needed to go to Target for belts I was ALL OVER IT. I found all the great items you bloggers have been talking about and I even had helpful little hands to find the buried treasures! SO HAPPY!

My favorite scores are the alphabet and number stamps, the number magnets, and the "Great Work!" stickers. 

4. Conscious Discipline
A large part of my summer was dedicated to reading this book and writhing in regret as well as bursting with enthusiasm to implement the strategies within. Don't worry, one of the commitments I made in the early chapters was to forgive myself! Reading Conscious Discipline was truly a reflective experience and getting to go to a training in my district with her consultant Jill Molli was ten times better! She is an entertaining presenter and includes such poignant examples of Dr. Bailey's work in action from her own life. I am so excited that my principal wants my team to be leaders for this program for our campus. My favorite part of the training was learning about the brain states. I could go on and on about this piece but I'll save that for another time. 

3. Texas Kinder Conference
A few people gave me crazy looks when I announced I would be going to this conference by myself with my own money. All I can say is that it was TOTALLY worth it. I got to see Jack Hartman! I also learned about interactive writing, reader's workshop, math stations and more!

Luckily, I didn't have to pay for these trainings, and I am incredibly thankful my principal thought of me when she registered our teachers to go! These opportunities launched my reflection and growth this summer in June. Again, so much to say, but this is only my first blog entry! :)

1. Family and Friends
I've been all around Texas since June for the above trainings and to visit the people I love. I have family in Round Rock, friends in San Marcos and Austin, teacher friends in Victoria, and my family and boyfriend in San Antonio, to boot! Wherever I go I receive hugs, news, and food! It's worth all the driving!


So that brings me up to the present! I have relaxing poolside, a trip to California with my mom, and some more blog reading to do before my last training (have you been keeping track?... 6 all together!). Not to mention setting up my classroom... and we moved our campus to a new building... eesh! 

So, again, thanks to Clutter Free Classroom and...

hello, blogging world! :)




3 comments:

Jill said...

I am soooo jealous that you got to go to all those workshops and conferences!!!!!!!!!!!!! And congrats on your second year coming up!! I am starting my first year in less than a month and I am shaking in my boots... just like you said. :)

Marvelous Multiagers!

Jennifer K. said...

I'm going into my 3rd year of kindergarten :) Wish I had gotten to go to as many workshops as you did, it sounds wonderful! I am following your blog now, it sounds like you will be a fun person to "hang out with" here in blogger world!

Herding Kats in Kindergarten

Nicole said...

Wow! Thanks, ladies, for being my first followers! Blogging IS fun! :)

Post a Comment

Back to Top