Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hands On!

My district bought the Handwriting Without Tears program this year and I had to leave my class to get a quick introduction to it yesterday (the day did NOT go well afterwards...ugh). We're still waiting on teacher manuals to get started but I remembered the Write Out of the Box training I went to over the summer. My kids need fine motor practice daily, and NOW.

So with what feels like the cold that's being passed around I ventured out to grab some items I could use for fine motor development.
I needed one more pack of water squirters from the Dollar Tree to imitate an activity called Squishy Fish. It apparently develops the arch in the palm to facilitate better grip. The kids will think puffing a pom-pom around is hilariously fun!

I grabbed modeling clay from the Dollar Tree, too. I love the small amounts of each color and the resistance it provides will surely develop little hands.

Dr. Gibbs from Write Out of the Box recommends using pillows for the resting fingers to facilitate the tripod grasp needed for writing. I think I will use the ice cube trays I found at Target below as a pickup activity with pillows.
Students can place a pillow under their resting fingers while they pick up beads to play in each section.

I'm not as clever as some my blogging friends are by giving their kiddos plenty of scissors practice early in the year. We attempted to cut rectangles out for a calendar-making activity and it was utter chaos! Now I know what kind of skills my kiddos have but a booklet like this would be excellent practice for them and documentation for me.

I envision modeling a variety of activities throughout the year and putting them in tubs for each table. I hate the idea of handwriting worksheets in the morning and these tubs could be a great alternative for morning work!

3 comments:

Jennifer K. said...

Thanks for these ideas, my youngest needs to develop his fine motor skills so I will be heading to the Dollar Tree for some fish tomorrow!

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

haaLow CEO said...

Did you put the modeling clay in the oven? I just got some and want to know how to make it dry hard?

Rain Dropps said...

Hi there :) I purchased some of the modeling clay brand you shared, does it need to be baked? How durable is it? I See HaaLow CEO asked the same Q but I don't see a response trying to see if I get an answer, and of course guess I will have to try. Thank you

Post a Comment

Back to Top